scott county, indiana
fire prayers at hiroshima
fireworks in missouri
objects, shadows, abstractions
faces in indianapolis
bicycles in hiroshima
ghosts wearing clothes in a tunnel a mile from hell
books in print
- praying drunk, winner of the 2015 story prize spotlight award
- italian edition of praying drunk (mentre cado, ricordati di me, translated by susanna bourlot, 2016)
- in the devil’s territory (2008)
kyle minor is the author of praying drunk, winner of the 2015 story prize spotlight award. recent stories, essays, interviews, and reviews appear online and in print in best american mystery stories, best american nonrequired reading, esquire, the atlantic, salon, iowa review, missouri review, story magazine, and the new york times book review.
selected post-praying drunk work in print
- “a kidnapping in koulev-ville,” a short story, in the normal school, reprinted in best american mystery stories, and streamed through the new york public library subway stories series
- “the uber diaries,” an essay, in new ohio review
- “amputation and the angels,” a novella, in story magazine
- “the secret to happiness,” a novella, in missouri review
- “notes on harm reduction,” an essay, in make magazine chicago
- “night at the fiestas,” a review of kirstin valdez quade’s terrific story collection, in the new york times book review
- “soldier,” a novella co-written with james yoder, forthcoming in booth
- “mild blue dream,” a story, forthcoming in gulf coast
- “suspended,” a reprinted story, forthcoming in best of brevity
- additional stories, essays, poems, and miscellany in bennington review, outlook springs, hobart, relief journal, ocean state review, saw palm, arkansas international, acm: another chicago magazine, the believer logger, and tin house online
some recent preoccupations
lynsey addario, it’s what i do: a photographer’s life of love and war.
bong joon ho, parasite.
denis johnson, angels.
konagada, vimeo video essays.
yiyun li, what has that to do with me.
peter morgan, the crown.
katherine anne porter, pale horse, pale rider.
dee rees, the last thing he wanted.
josh and benny safdie, daddy longlegs, goldman v silverman, good time, heaven knows what, and uncut gems.
(most highly recommended in bold blue)
bitches brew, miles davis
black saint and the sinner lady, charles mingus
car wheels on a gravel road, lucinda williams
c’era una volta il west, ennio morricone
getz/gilberto, getz & gilberto
in a silent way, miles davis
juliana hatfield sings the police
kind of blue, miles davis
last splash, the breeders
love and theft, bob dylan
moanin’, art blakey & the jazz messengers
mingus ah-um, charles mingus
o brother where art thou, t-bone burnett et al
pastel blues, nina simone
shape of jazz to come, ornette coleman
sketches of spain, miles davis
skitter on take-off, vic chesnutt
somethin’ else, cannonball adderley
take five, dave brubeck quartet
time out of mind, bob dylan
tom cuarana presents wu-tang vs. the beatles: enter the magical mystery chambers
white album, the beatles
yeezus, by a crazy person